Monday 23 July 2012

What Have I Learnt?

Honestly, I have never enjoyed Maths but this week-long sessions have totally changed how I look at and understand Maths. There was hardly a dull moment during class and I throughly enjoyed the whole experience. Dr Yeap is an excellent teacher of Mathematics! I wish my Maths teachers taught Maths like how he did and I wouldn't have hated the subject and struggled with it throughout my schooling days.

To wrap up what we have learnt throughout the week, here are the 3 main ideas of what I've learnt:

1. C-P-A Approach: 
Start introducing math concepts to children by using concrete materials to pictorial to abstract.

2. As Early Childhood teachers, we have to be careful with the Mathematics language we use with children as it might affect how they learn and understand Maths as they go into higher level.

3. Teaching children to VISUALIZE is extremely important! This is where I am totally lacking in and have to improve on personally.

Some questions I want to find out:

1. Will there be trainings or workshops for early childhood teachers to be introduced to the new primary 1 syllabus so that they have an idea what will be taught in primary school and be able to prepare the children with relevant skills/concepts?

2. Should the Mathematics syllabus be standardized throughout Singapore so as to prevent pre-school teachers from under-teaching or over-teaching the child  before he goes to Primary 1?


"Mathematics is an excellent vehicle to develop and improve a person's intellectual competence"

No comments:

Post a Comment